Thursday, March 4, 2010

Channeling my inner goddess

I was nervous and excited about participating in The Vagina Monologues but I was willing to surpass that and channel my inner goddess and be part of V day. Violence against women is something that sadly has been part of our society. You hear about it, see on TV and most often witness it or it has happen to you.

Part of me doing the Vagina Monologues dealt with confronting the truth of how violence to the women in my family did occur. It has always been a thing of the pass and I always attempted to play it off like it never fully affected me . It did. It made me hate my grandfather and father for their actions and it made me hate myself for letting it happen to my mother and grandmother. I was 8 years old then , and felt responsible for it. Its been over 12 years now, those incidents have become childhood memories. My grandparents are still together and my parents are looking towards 22 years of marriage...My grandfather and father both recognize what they did and as a family we have moved on.

On the last show of the Vagina Monologue, my mother, sister and aunt came. They congratulated me for a great show but what they did not realize was that I channel their strength while performing.

No comments: