Monday, April 5, 2010

The Truth is:


I have arms, legs, cafe con leche skin
I have dreams, hopes, fears
I have sisters, brothers, nieces and even friends just like u do

But there is still a need to differentiate each other?
Comparing oppression that's not a solution
Comparing skin color like that makes me or you better

I didn't know love was attached to a "race" ...a black man with a black woman
I didn't know love was attached to gender ...a woman with a man

Sometimes I don't even understand why people are surprise when they find out I love hip hop
I guess I was suppose to only be born to recite bachata songs

Melodies of our lives limited to looks, accent and birth certificates

Truth is I am no better than you
You are no better than me
But yet there is still a need to differentiate each other
Please cut your umbilical cord from the desperation of trying to define yourself upon what makes u and I different
The Feeling of superiority is just plane stupidity


-Sonia G

1 comment:

Tarra Lu said...

That was deep. I love it.